Snoring is a very common health problem, with many people suffering from it every night. To understand how to correct this health problem, it is important to first understand what snoring is and various causes that contribute to it.
Snoring is the vibrational noise caused by the blockage of airway passages when a person is breathing while sleeping. In some situations, it can be a soft sound but in other instances it can be loud, unpleasant and quite disruptive. Snoring can be a major disturbance to the snorer and to the unlucky people who happen to share their bedroom. Snoring can result in poor sleep which often leads to fatigue, increasing health problems, irritability, and lack of focus.
Like other illness, snoring also has different causes. The common causes of snoring include:
- Sleep posture
- Nasal and sinus problems
- Alcohol, smoking, and medications
- The way you are built
- Being out of shape or overweight
It is said that how you snore can expose the reason why you snore. A person should note the various ways of sleeping and snoring. The position one falls asleep in can really contribute to the likeliness of suffering from snoring. Once you know the reason why you snore, it will be easy for you to figure out the cure for your particular snoring problem.
- Snoring with the mouth closed can indicate that you have a problem with your tongue blocking air passages during sleep.
- Snoring with the mouth open can be a sign of problems with your throat tissues.
- If you snore only while sleeping on your back, it could be that the base of your tongue and other tissues have collapsed and are blocking airflow in your throat. Switching to sleeping on your side could bring you instant relief. PS: Hypnogagia has a great post about sleep position. Have a look.
- If you snore in whatever sleeping positions you made, it may mean that snoring problem in which you are suffering from is severe and you may be required to visit a medical professional for comprehensive treatment.
Because of the high number of people suffering from snoring problems, scientist have been developing ways to reduce and eliminate these problems. Many different stop-snoring devices have been invented to address the various causes of snoring.
There is a device that looks like a snoring chinstrap. This device helps the jaw to remain in a stable position so the snorer won’t be able to open his or her mouth when sleeping.
There is also the snoring mouthpiece which pushes the lower jaw forward so that the snorer has an open mouth while sleeping.
Another anti snoring device is the snoring pillow which aligns the head and the neck to prevent snoring.
And lastly, there is a nasal strip to widen the nasal passages to have smoother air intake action which will lessen snoring.
So if you are a person who suffers from snoring, you don’t have to worry too much – unless you suspect apnea. Solutions to your problem can probably be found in one of these snoring relief devices. Just research what to do and how to deal with your particular snoring problem.